Plant Biotechnology: Current and Future Applications of Genetically Modified Crops
Copyright © 2006 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd
Editor(s): Nigel G. Halford
Published Online: 20 JUN 2006
Print ISBN: 9780470021811
Online ISBN: 9780470021835
About this Book
Plant Biotechnology: Current and Future Uses of Genetically Modified Crops covers in detail the development, use and regulation of GM crops. Split into three sections, Part 1 introduces GM crops and describes the GM crops that are used commercially. Part 2 looks at new developments and methodologies in areas including potential applications of GM crops for the production of vaccines, enhanced nutritional value of GM food, and engineering resistance to fungal pathogens. Part 3 concludes by considering the key issues of safety and legislation, including allergenicity, environmental impacts, risk assessment and labelling.
- Covers the topic in depth and addresses key subject areas
- Takes a broad view of the current situation in different countries
- Examines the commercial application of plant biotechnology in the USA and China
- Covers two major areas of public concern: allergenicity and gene flow
- Covers new developments in plant research, safety and legislation aspects
This book is essential reading for postgraduates and researchers in plant biotechnology and related sciences in Departments of Plant Science, Biotechnology, Bioscience, Environmental Science, Food Biosciences and Chemistry. It is also of interest for professionals working in the plant biotechnology industry or government professionals working in environmental policy.