Psychiatric Diagnosis and Classification
Copyright © 2002 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd
Editor(s): Mario Maj, Wolfgang Gaebel, Juan José López-Ibor, Norman Sartorius
Published Online: 24 APR 2002
Print ISBN: 9780471496816
Online ISBN: 9780470846476
About this Book
This book provides an overview of the strengths and limitations of the currently available systems for the diagnosis and classification of mental disorders, in particular the DSM-IV and the ICD-10, and of the prospects for future developments.
Among the covered issues are:
* The impact of biological research
* The diagnosis of mental disorders in primary care
* The usefulness and limitations of the concept of comorbidity in psychiatry
* The role of understanding and empathy in the diagnostic process
* The ethical, legal and social aspects of psychiatric classification
Psychiatric Diagnosis & Classification provides a comprehensive picture of the current state of available diagnostic and classificatory systems in psychiatry and the improvements that are needed.