Psychiatry in Society
Copyright © 2002 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd
Editor(s): Norman Sartorius, Wolfgang Gaebel, Juan José López-Ibor, Mario Maj
Published Online: 29 APR 2002
Print ISBN: 9780471496823
Online ISBN: 9780470846483
About this Book
Psychiatry in Society provides an overview of the recent socio-economic and cultural changes affecting mental health and mental health care.
These changes include:
* The increasing complexity of the economic contexts within which mental health services are funded and delivered
* The demand for cost-effectiveness evidence
* The rationing of access to new pharmacotherapies and psychotherapies
* The emergence of quality of life as an essential criterion in the assessment of health care interventions
* The growing awareness of the influence of stigma on shaping the long-term course of severe mental disorders
* The enhanced role of advocacy groups in providing information, advice and support to sufferers
This book will be of interest to psychiatrists and psychologists, mental health workers, managers and policy makers.