Understanding Telecommunications and Lightwave Systems: An Entry-Level Guide, Third Edition
Copyright © 2002 Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc.
Author(s): John G. Nellist
Published Online: 28 JAN 2005
Print ISBN: 9780471150329
Online ISBN: 9780471722854
About this Book
The up-to-date edition of the bestselling guide to the basics of telecommunications and digital technology
Understanding Telecommunications and Lightwave Systems presents a nontechnical treatment of how voice, video, and multimedia can simultaneously travel over today's evolving telecommunications systems. This updated Third Edition provides a comprehensive overview of the telecommunications field as well as a detailed introduction to the latest lightwave technology.
The author's examination of recent techniques and developing technologies in telecommunications includes:
- Third-generation cell phones with microbrowser capabilities
- Changes in the global PCS network
- Optical switching and transmission parameters
- Lightwave systems and Dense Wavelength Division Multiplexing
- A new chapter (Chapter 17: The Internet) that examines this multimedia structure and the network economy it has created
- Satellite communications, new transcontinental carriers, lightwave undersea systems, and other advances toward improving global communication
Understanding Telecommunications and Lightwave Systems is the perfect introduction for anyone whose work requires a fundamental understanding of current developments in telecommunications, as well as for students or inquiring readers who want an overview of telecommunications and the exciting technology of lightwave communications.