Wiley Handbook of Science and Technology for Homeland Security
Copyright © 1999-2012 by John Wiley and Sons, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Online ISBN: 9780470087923
About this Book
The recent upsurge in terrorist activity in many parts of the world has highlighted the need for a coordinated scientific and technological response to terrorism. In response to this ever-present risk, the US and nations from around the globe are undertaking unprecedented initiatives to protect their citizens. In addition, the experience of recent hurricanes and natural disasters in different parts of the world (such as Hurricane Katrina, Superstorm Sandy, Tsunami of 2004) emphasizes the need for a technologically robust homeland security infrastructure to respond to natural as well as man-made disasters.
Among the most urgent priorities are:
- Developing effective treatments and preventatives for known and unknown pathogens
- Implementing an intelligent, adaptive electric-power grid
- Utilizing data fusion and data mining for intelligence analysis
- Enhancing information security against cyber attacks
- Developing new and better technologies for emergency responders
- Advancing engineering design technologies and fire-rating standards
- Developing enhanced sensor and surveillance systems
- Creating new methods and standards for air filtration and decontamination
Together, these objectives represent an extraordinary multidisciplinary challenge for scientists, engineers and policy-makers. To achieve these goals, the resources of the academic and industrial research communities must be deployed in new ways that allow disparate research disciplines to collaborate effectively in this crucial technological realm.
The Wiley Handbook of Science and Technology for Homeland Security is designed to support the effective communication of homeland security research across these disciplinary and institutional boundaries. The Handbook:
- Educates researchers in the critical needs of the homeland security and intelligence communities and the potential contributions of their own disciplines
- Emphasizes the role of fundamental science in creating novel technological solutions
- Details the international dimensions of homeland security and counterterrorism research
- Provides guidance on technology diffusion from the laboratory to the field
- Supports cross-disciplinary dialogue in this field between operational, R&D and consumer communities.