The Determination of Chemical Elements in Food: Applications for Atomic and Mass Spectrometry
Copyright © 2007 John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Editor(s): Sergio Caroli
Published Online: 17 NOV 2006
Print ISBN: 9780471687849
Online ISBN: 9780470141007
About this Book
State-of-the-art tools and applicationsfor food safety and food science research
Atomic spectroscopy and mass spectrometry are important tools for identifying and quantifying trace elements in food products-elements that may be potentially beneficial or potentially toxic. The Determination of Chemical Elements in Food: Applications for Atomic and Mass Spectrometry teaches the reader how to use these advanced technologies for food analysis. With chapters written by internationally renowned scientists, it provides a detailed overview of progress in the field and the latest innovations in instrumentation and techniques, covering:
- Fundamentals and method development, selected applications, and speciation analysis
- Applications of atomic absorption spectrometry, inductively coupled plasma atomic emission spectrometry, and inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry
- Applications to foods of animal origin and applications to foods of vegetable origin
- Foreseeable developments of instrumental spectrometric techniques that can be exploited to better protect consumers' health, with a full account of the most promising trends in spectrometric instrumentation and ancillary apparatuses
- Applicable laws and regulations at the national and international levels
This is a core reference for scientists in food laboratories in the public andprivate sectors and academia, as well as members of regulatory bodies that deal with food safety.