Copyright © 2008 John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Editor(s): Anatole A. Klyosov, Zbigniew J. Witczak, David Platt
Published Online: 29 JAN 2008
Print ISBN: 9780470373187
Online ISBN: 9780470378076
About this Book
About The Product
The comprehensive guide to the current understanding of galectins and their promising potential in drug design
This is the first book focusing on galectins. It was inspired by topics discussed at the symposium "Galectins: Structures, Functions, and Therapeutic Targets" that was a part of the 234th American Chemical Society meeting in 2007. To help chemists, biochemists, and others understand the challenges inherent in the study of galectins and build on recent advances in the field, the editors have compiled articles from leading experts on galectins and their biomedical applications. Galectins includes:
* An overview of early galectin research
* An explanation of the nature of galectins
* A discussion of the structure and functions of galectins, their ligand specificity and molecular mechanisms of action, and the localization of galectins in the cell
* An exploration of the roles galectins play in tumor growth and cancer, fibrosis, inflammation, and immunity
* A discussion of the effect of galectins on cell migration, angiogenesis, and chemoresistance
* An introduction to new approaches to designing galectin inhibitors
This is the premier reference on galectins for organic, medicinal, carbohydrate, and pharmaceutical chemists, biochemists, molecular and cell biologists, pharmacologists, cancer researchers, and graduate-level students in these disciplines, as well as clinicians and drug developers.