Applications of Flow Cytometry in Stem Cell Research and Tissue Regeneration
Copyright © 2010 Wiley-Blackwell. All rights reserved.
Editor(s): Awtar Krishan, H. Krishnamurthy, Satish Totey
Published Online: 9 JUL 2012 11:40AM EST
Print ISBN: 9780470543986
Online ISBN: 9780470631119
About this Book
A much-needed primer on the use of laser flow cytometry for stem cell analysis
Laser flow cytometry is a powerful tool for rapid analysis of cells for marker expression, cell cycle position, proliferation, and apoptosis. However, no resources specifically address the use of this methodology for the study of stem cells; this is especially important as stem cell analysis involves specialized methods and staining procedures based on specific characteristics such as marker expression, cell size, drug transport, and efflux of the stem cells.
Now, this book reviews these procedures, discusses the science behind them, and provides real-world examples to illustrate the usefulness of the methods. It brings together world-class experts in pathology, biophysics, immunology, and stem cell research, who draw upon their extensive experience with the methods and show examples of good data to help guide researchers in the right direction.
Chapter coverage includes:
- Stem cell analysis and sorting using side population
- Flow cytometry in the study of proliferation and apoptosis
- Stem cell biology and application
- Identification and isolation of very small embryonic-like stem cells from murine and human specimens
- Hematopoietic stem cells-issues in enumeration
- Human embryonic stem cells: long-term culture and cardiovascular differentiation
- Limbal stem cells and corneal regeneration
- Flow cytometric sorting of spermatogonial stem cells
- Breast cancer stem cells
- Stem cell marker expression in cells from body cavity fluids
This book is an essential resource for all graduate students, practitioners in developing countries, libraries and book repositories of universities and research institutions, and individual researchers. It is also of interest to laboratories engaged in stem cell research and use of stem cells for tissue regeneration, and to any organization dealing in stem cell and tissue regeneration research.