Copyright © 2011 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd
Author(s): Salah Obayya
Published Online: 6 SEP 2010 10:56AM EST
Print ISBN: 9780470688939
Online ISBN: 9780470667064
About this Book
This book explores the state-of-the art in computational modelling techniques for photonic devices
In this book, the author provides a comprehensive coverage of modern numerical modelling techniques for designing photonic devices for use in modern optical telecommunications systems. In addition the book presents the state-of-the-art in computational photonics techniques, covering methods such as full-vectorial finite-element beam propagation, bidirectional beam propagation, complex-envelope alternative direction implicit finite difference time domain, multiresolution time domain, and finite volume time domain. The book guides the reader through the concepts of modelling, analysing, designing and optimising the performance of a wide range of photonic devices by building their own numerical code using these methods.
- Provides a thorough presentation of the state-of-the art in computational modelling techniques for photonics
- Contains broad coverage of both frequency- and time-domain techniques to suit a wide range of photonic devices
- Reviews existing commercial software packages for photonics
- Presents the advantages and disadvantages of the different modelling techniques as well as their suitability for various photonic devices
- Shows the reader how to model, analyse, design and optimise the performance of a wide range of photonic devices by building their own numerical code using these methods
- Accompanying website contains the numerical examples representing the numerical techniques in this book, as well as several design examples (http://www.wiley.com/go/obayya_computational)
This book will serve as an invaluable reference for researchers, optical telecommunications engineers, engineers in the photonics industry. PhD and MSc students undertaking courses in the areas of photonics and optical telecommunications will also find this book of interest.