Esther Through the Centuries
Copyright © 2008 Jo Carruthers
Author(s): Jo Carruthers
Published Online: 17 MAR 2008
Print ISBN: 9781405132138
Online ISBN: 9780470691915
About this Book
This interdisciplinary commentary ranges from early midrashic interpretation to contemporary rewritings introducing interpretations of the only biblical book not to mention God.
- Unearths a wealth of neglected rewritings inspired by the story's relevance to themes of nationhood, rebellion, providence, revenge, female heroism, Jewish identity, exile, genocide and 'multiculturalism'
- Reveals the various struggles and strategies used by religious commentators to make sense of this only biblical book that does not mention God
- Asks why Esther is underestimated by contemporary feminist scholars despite a long history of subversive rewritings
- Compares the most influential Jewish and Christian interpretations and interpreters
- Includes an introduction to the book's myriad representations in literature, music, and art
- Published in the reception-history series, Blackwell Bible Commentaries