Copyright © 2007 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Editor(s): Joanna Sofaer
Published Online: 17 MAR 2008
Print ISBN: 9781405132343
Online ISBN: 9780470694091
About this Book
About The Product
Material Identities examines the way that individuals use material objects as tools for projecting aspects of their identities.
- Considers the way identity is fashioned, launched, used, and admired in the material world.
- Contributors intervene from the disciplines of art history, anthropology, design and material culture.
- Considers contrasting media - painting, print, sculpture, dress, coinage, architecture, furniture, luxury items, and interior design.
- Explores the complexity of identity through the intersection notions of gender, ethnicity, age, sexuality, and class.
- Reaffirms the central role of public identities and their impact on social life.