The End of Work: Theological Critiques of Capitalism
Copyright © 2007 John Hughes
Author(s): John Hughes
Published Online: 17 MAR 2008
Print ISBN: 9781405158923
Online ISBN: 9780470694169
About this Book
Surveys twentieth century theologies of work, contrasting differing approaches to consider the "problem of labor" from a theological perspective.
- Aimed at theologians concerned with how Christianity might engage in social criticism, as well those who are interested in the connection between Marxist and Christian traditions
- Explores debates about labor under capitalism and considers the relationship between divine and human work
- Through a thorough reading of Weber's Protestant Work Ethic, argues that the triumph of the "spirit of utility" is crucial to understanding modern notions of work
- Draws on the work of various twentieth century Catholic thinkers, including Josef Pieper, Jacques Maritain, Eric Gill, and David Jones
- Published in the new and prestigious Illuminations series.