Adult Congenital Heart Disease: A Practical Guide
Copyright © 2005 by Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Editor(s): Michael A. Gatzoulis, Lorna Swan, Judith Therrien, George A. Pantely
Published Online: 26 NOV 2007
Print ISBN: 9780727916686
Online ISBN: 9780470750544
About this Book
About The Product
Congenital heart disease with its worldwide incidence of 1% is the most common inborn defect. Increasingly, patients are living into adulthood, with ongoing congenital heart and other medical needs. Sadly, only a small minority have specialist follow-up. However, all patients see their family doctor and may also seek advice from other health professionals.
This practical guide with its straightforward a,b,c approach is written for those professionals.
Special features of this book:
• Introduces the principles of congenital heart disease and tells you whom and when to refer for specialist care
• Discusses common congenital heart lesions in a practical, easy-to-follow way, with an emphasis on diagnosis and management issues
• Includes an extensive chapter on 'Pregnancy and Contraception' (by Philip J. Steer), essential both for family planning and for managing safely the pregnant woman with congenital heart disease
• Includes chapters on non-cardiac surgery and lifestyle issues such as work, insurability, travel and driving
• Provides invaluable information on dealing with common emergencies; what to do and what not to do
With a wealth of illustrations (including diagrams, EKGs, CXRs, Echos and cardiac MRIs) and with key point tables, this is an essential guide for all health care professionals managing patients with adult congenital heart disease.