Shakespeare's Theater: A Source Book
© 2004 by Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Editor(s): Tanya Pollard
Published Online: 14 JAN 2008
Print ISBN: 9781405111935
Online ISBN: 9780470752975
About this Book
About The Product
Shakespeare's Theater: A Sourcebook brings together in one volume the most significant Elizabethan and Jacobean texts on the morality of the theater.
- A collection of the most significant Elizabethan and Jacobean texts on the morality of the theater.
- Includes attacks on the stage by moralists, defences by actors and playwrights, letters by magistrates, mayors and aldermen of London, and extracts from legislation.
- Demonstrates just how heated debates about the theater became in the late sixteenth and early seventeenth centuries.
- A general introduction and short prefaces to each piece situate the writers and debates in the literary, social, political and religious history of the time.
- Brings together in one volume texts that would otherwise be hard to locate.
- Student-friendly - uses modern spelling and includes vocabulary glosses and annotation.