From Naming to Saying: The Unity of the Proposition
Copyright © 2004 by Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Editor(s): Martha I. Gibson
Published Online: 14 JAN 2008
Print ISBN: 9780631226550
Online ISBN: 9780470755655
About this Book
About The Product
From Naming to Saying explores the classicquestion of the unity of the proposition, combining an historical approach with contemporary causal theories to offer a unique and novel solution.
- Presents compelling and sophisticated answers to questions about how language represents the world.
- Defends a novel approach to the classical question about the unity of the proposition.
- Examines three key historical theories: Frege's doctrine of concept and object, Russell's analysis of the sentence, and Wittgenstein's picture theory of meaning.
- Combines an historical approach with discussion and defense of a contemporary causal theory of the unity of the proposition.
- Establishes a view compatible with, though not dependent on, a causal theory of meaning.