Medieval Lyric: Middle English Lyrics, Ballads, and Carols
Copyright © 2005 by Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Editor(s): John C. Hirsh
Published Online: 14 JAN 2008
Print ISBN: 9781405114813
Online ISBN: 9780470756164
About this Book
About The Product
Medieval Lyric is a colourful collection of lyrical poems, carols, and traditional British ballads written between the thirteenth and fifteenth centuries, together with some twentieth-century American versions of them.
- A lively and engaging collection of lyrical poems, carols, and traditional British ballads written in between the thirteenth and fifteenth centuries, together with some twentieth-century American versions of them.
- Introduces readers to the rich variety of Middle English poetry.
- Presents poems of mourning and of celebration, poems dedicated to the Blessed Virgin and to Christ, poems inviting or disparaging love, poems about sex, and more.
- Reader-friendly - uses modernized letter forms, punctuation and capitalization, and side glosses explaining difficult words.
- Opens with a substantial introduction by the editor to the medieval lyric as a genre, and features short introductions to each section and poem.
- Also includes an annotated bibliography, glossary, index of first lines, and list of manuscripts cited.