Ancient History: Monuments and Documents
Copyright © 2006 Charles W. Hedrick, Jr.
Author(s): Charles W. Hedrick
Published Online: 4 FEB 2008
Print ISBN: 9781405106573
Online ISBN: 9780470773741
About this Book
This book introduces students to the chief disciplines, methods and sources employed in 'doing' ancient history, as opposed to 'reading' it. The book:
- Encourages readers to engage with historical sources, rather than to be passive recipients of historical tales
- Gives readers a sense of the nature of evidence and its use in the reconstruction of the past
- Helps them to read a historical narrative with more critical appreciation
- Encourages them to consider the differences between their own experience of ancient sources, and the use of these objects within the everyday life of ancient society
- A concise bibliographical essay at the end of each chapter refers to introductions, indices, research tools and interpretations, and explains scholarly jargon
- Written clearly, concisely and concretely, invoking ancient illustrations and modern parallels as appropriate.