Why Science Matters: Understanding the Methods of Psychological Research
Copyright © 2006 Robert W. Proctor and E. J. Capaldi
Author(s): Robert W. Proctor, E. J. Capaldi
Published Online: 25 FEB 2008
Print ISBN: 9781405130493
Online ISBN: 9780470773994
About this Book
About The Product
Why Science Matters: Understanding the Methods of Psychological Research rises above standard research methods texts by presenting an up-to-date view of contemporary psychological science as it is currently understood and practiced.
- Explores not only the procedural aspects of psychological research, but also delves into the issue of how to accomplish effective science.
- Explicates how hypotheses and theories are to be evaluated.
- Suggests that the proper approach to devising and evaluating theories is by abduction, not by induction or deduction alone.
- Incorporates new investigatory procedures, current methodologists, conflicts and issues, implications of the philosophy of science, and a lively prose style.
- Provides a picture of science that will engage students and expand their abilities as both scientists and psychologists.