Stress: A Brief History
Copyright © 2004 Cary L. Cooper and Philip Dewe
Author(s): Cary L. Cooper, Philip Dewe
Published Online: 25 FEB 2008
Print ISBN: 9781405107440
Online ISBN: 9780470774755
About this Book
About The Product
Stress: A Brief History is a lively, accessible, and detailed examination of the origins of the field of stress research.
- First concise, accessible, academically grounded book on the origins of the concept of stress.
- Explores different theories and models of stress such as the psychosomatic approach, homeostasis, and general adaptation syndrome.
- Discusses the work and intriguing contributions of key researchers in the field such as Walter Cannon, Hans Selye, Harold Wolff, and Richard Lazarus.
- Explains the origins of key concepts in stress such as stressful life events, the coronary-prone personality, and appraisals and coping.
- Culminates in a discussion of what makes a good theory and what obligations stress researchers have to those whose working lives they study.