Copyright © 2004 Rachel Woodward
Author(s): Rachel Woodward
Published Online: 25 FEB 2008
Print ISBN: 9781405110532
Online ISBN: 9780470774793
About this Book
About The Product
Military Geographies is about how local space, place, environment and landscape are shaped by military presence, and about how wider geographies are touched by militarism.
- A book about how local space, place, environment and landscape are shaped by military presence, and about how wider geographies are touched by militarism.
- Sets a new agenda for the study of military geography with its critical analysis of the ways in which military control over space is legitimized.
- Explores the ways in which militarism and military activities control development, the use of space and our understanding of place.
- Focuses on military lands, establishments and personnel in contemporary peacetime settings.
- Uses examples from Europe, North America and Australasia.
- Draws on original research into the mechanisms by which the British government manages the defence estate.
- Illustrated with maps, plans and other figures.