War in Ancient Egypt: The New Kingdom
Copyright © 2005 Anthony J. Spalinger
Author(s): Anthony J. Spalinger
Published Online: 25 FEB 2008
Print ISBN: 9781405113717
Online ISBN: 9780470774861
About this Book
This book is an introduction to the war machine of New Kingdom Egypt from c. 1575 bc-1100 bc.
- Focuses on the period in which the Egyptians created a professional army and gained control of Syria, creating an "Empire of Asia".
- Written by a respected Egyptologist.
- Highlights new technological developments, such as the use of chariots and siege technology.
- Considers the socio-political aspects of warfare, particularly the rise to power of a new group of men.
- Evaluates the military effectiveness of the Egyptian state, looking at the logistics of warfare during this period.
- Incorporates maps and photographs, a chronological table, and a chart of dynasties and pharaohs