The Form of Cities: Political Economy and Urban Design
Copyright © 2006 Alexander R. Cuthbert
Author(s): Alexander R. Cuthbert
Published Online: 25 FEB 2008
Print ISBN: 9781405116398
Online ISBN: 9780470774915
About this Book
The Form of Cities offers readers a considered theoretical introduction to the art of designing cities.
- Demonstrates that cities are replete with symbolic values, collective memory, association and conflict.
- Proposes a new theoretical understanding of urban design, based in political economy.
- Demonstrates different ways of conceptualising the city, whether through aesthetics or the prism of gender, for example.
- Written in an engaging and jargon-free style, but retains a sophisticated interpretative edge.
- Complements Designing Cities by the same author (Blackwell, 2003).