The Victorian Novel
Copyright © 2006 Louis James
Author(s): Louis James
Published Online: 21 APR 2008
Print ISBN: 9780631226277
Online ISBN: 9780470775844
About this Book
About The Product
This inspiring survey challenges conventional ways of viewing the Victorian novel.
- Provides time maps and overviews of historical and social contexts.
- Considers the relationship between the Victorian novel and historical, religious and bibliographic writing.
- Features short biographies of over forty Victorian authors, including Wilkie Collins, Charles Dickens, George Eliot, and Robert Louis Stevenson.
- Offers close readings of over 30 key texts, among them Charlotte Brontë's Jane Eyre (1847) and Bram Stoker's Dracula (1897), as well as key presences, such as John Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress (Pt 1, 1676, Pt 2, 1684).
- Also covers topics such as colonialism, scientific speculation, the psychic and the supernatural, and working class reading.