The Intellectual Origins of the European Reformation, Second Edition
Copyright © 2004 Alister E. McGrath
Author(s): Alister E. McGrath
Published Online: 21 APR 2008
Print ISBN: 9780631229407
Online ISBN: 9780470775882
About this Book
The sixteenth-century Reformation remains a fascinating and exciting area of study. The revised edition of this distinguished volume explores the intellectual origins of the Reformation and examines the importance of ideas in the shaping of history.
- Provides an updated and expanded version of the original, highly-acclaimed edition.
- Explores the complex intellectual roots of the Reformation, offering a sustained engagement with the ideas of humanism and scholasticism.
- Demonstrates how the intellectual origins of the Reformation were heterogeneous, and examines the implications of this for our understanding of the Reformation as a whole.
- Offers a defence of the entire enterprise of intellectual history, and a reaffirmation of the importance of ideas to the development of history.
- Written by Alister E. McGrath, one of today's best-known Christian writers.