Copyright © 2004 Jyoti Puri
Author(s): Jyoti Puri
Published Online: 21 APR 2008
Print ISBN: 9780631231059
Online ISBN: 9780470775943
About this Book
Encountering Nationalism introduces students to concepts of nationalism in an accessible, critical, and timely way. Abstract arguments are bolstered by clear and specific examples drawn from momentous events and from the well of everyday life, such as the aftermath of September 11, beauty pageants, ethnic conflicts, and sexual respectability. Encountering Nationalism is an engaging introduction to the diverse meanings of nationalism and its most important aspects.
- Addresses the rise of nationalism in the US post-September 11.
- Brings together "culturalist" and state-centered approaches to nationalism.
- Underscores the importance of race, gender, sexuality, ethnicity, and religion to understanding nationalism.
- Clarifies key concepts such as nationalism, nation, state, gender, sexuality, etc.
- Contains useful examples to illustrate key aspects of nationalism.
- Features clear and engaging prose.