Old English Literature: A Short Introduction
Copyright © 2004 Daniel Donoghue
Author(s): Daniel Donoghue
Published Online: 21 APR 2008
Print ISBN: 9780631234852
Online ISBN: 9780470776025
About this Book
This innovative and intriguing introduction to Old English literature is structured around what the author calls 'figures' from Anglo-Saxon culture: the Vow, the Hall, the Miracle, the Pulpit, and the Scholar.
- An innovative and intriguing introduction to Old English literature.
- Structured around 'figures' from Anglo-Saxon culture: the Vow, the Hall, the Miracle, the Pulpit, and the Scholar.
- Situates Old English literary texts within a cultural framework.
- Creates new connections between different genres, periods and authors.
- Combines close textual analysis with historical context.
- Based on the author's many years experience of teaching Old English literature.
- The author is co-editor with Seamus Heaney of Beowulf: A Verse Translation (2001) and recently published with Blackwell Lady Godiva: A Literary History of the Legend (2003).