A Brief History of Death
Copyright © 2005 Douglas J. Davies
Author(s): Douglas J. Davies
Published Online: 25 FEB 2008
Print ISBN: 9781405101820
Online ISBN: 9780470776193
About this Book
The act of death itself and the rituals surrounding it vary enormously and shed a fascinating light on the cultures of which they are a part. In this brief and lively history, Douglas Davies - internationally acknowledged as one of the leading experts in this field - tackles some of the most significant aspects of death and weaves them into a compelling story about our changing attitudes to dying.
- Offers a fascinating examination of this subject which is of enduring interest in every culture in the world
- Considers the profound influence death has had on subjects ranging from philosophy to anthropology, through to art, literature, and music - inspiring some of our most enduring artistic highpoints
- Broaches some of the most significant aspects of death, such as the act of dying, grieving, burial, artistic interpretations of death, places of memory, the fear of death, and disasters/tragedies
- Weaves these numerous approaches to death into a compelling story about our changing attitudes to dying
- Contains several illustrations, and is written in an accessible and lively style.