Latin American Fiction: A Short Introduction
Copyright © 2005 Philip Swanson
Author(s): Philip Swanson
Published Online: 25 FEB 2008
Print ISBN: 9781405108652
Online ISBN: 9780470776292
About this Book
This book introduces readers to the evolution of modern fiction in Spanish-speaking Latin America.
- Presents Latin American fiction in its cultural and political contexts.
- Introduces debates about how to read this literature.
- Combines an overview of the evolution of modern Latin American fiction with detailed studies of key texts.
- Discusses authors such as Mario Vargas Llosa, Gabriel García Márquez, Jorge Luis Borges and Isabel Allende.
- Covers nation-building narratives, 'modernismo', the New Novel, the Boom, the Post-Boom, Magical Realism, Hispanic fiction in the USA, and more.