HVDC Transmission: Power Conversion Applications in Power Systems
Copyright © 2009 John Wiley & Sons (Asia) Pte Ltd
Author(s): Chan-Ki Kim, Dr Vijay K. Sood, Gil-Soo Jang, Seong-Joo Lim, Seok-Jin Lee
Published Online: 29 JAN 2010
Print ISBN: 9780470822951
Online ISBN: 9780470822975
About this Book
HVDC is a critical solution to several major problems encountered when trying to maintain systemic links and quality in large-scale renewable energy environments. HDVC can resolve a number of issues, including voltage stability of AC power networks, reducing fault current, and optimal management of electric power, ensuring the technology will play an increasingly important role in the electric power industry.
To address the pressing need for an up-to-date and comprehensive treatment of the subject, Kim, Sood, Jang, Lim and Lee have collaborated to produce this key text and reference. Combining classroom-tested materials from North America and Asia, HVDC Transmission compactly summarizes the latest research results, and includes the insights of experts from power systems, power electronics, and simulation backgrounds. The authors walk readers through basic theory and practical applications, while also providing the broader historical context and future development of HVDC technology.
- Presents case studies covering basic and advanced HVDC deployments headed by world-renowned experts
- Demonstrates how to design, analyze and maintain HVDC systems in the field
- Provides updates on new HVDC technologies, such as active power filters, PWM, VSC, and 800 KV systems
- Rounds out readers' understanding with chapters dedicated to the key areas of simulation and main circuit design
- Introduces wind power system interconnection with HVDC
- Arms readers with an understanding of future HVDC trends
Balancing theoretical instruction with practical application, HVDC Transmission delivers comprehensive working knowledge to power utility engineers, power transmission researchers, and advanced undergraduates and postgraduates in power engineering programs. The book is also a useful reference to for engineers and students focused on closely related areas such as renewable energy and power system planning.