Copyright © 2011 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd
Author(s): John Gower, Sugnet Lubbe, Niël le Roux
Published Online: 3 NOV 2010 09:37PM EST
Print ISBN: 9780470012550
Online ISBN: 9780470973196
About this Book
Biplots are a graphical method for simultaneously displaying two kinds of information; typically, the variables and sample units described by a multivariate data matrix or the items labelling the rows and columns of a two-way table. This book aims to popularize what is now seen to be a useful and reliable method for the visualization of multidimensional data associated with, for example, principal component analysis, canonical variate analysis, multidimensional scaling, multiplicative interaction and various types of correspondence analysis.
• Introduces theory and techniques which can be applied to problems from a variety of areas, including ecology, biostatistics, finance, demography and other social sciences.
• Provides novel techniques for the visualization of multidimensional data and includes data mining techniques.
• Uses applications from many fields including finance, biostatistics, ecology, demography.
• Looks at dealing with large data sets as well as smaller ones.
• Includes colour images, illustrating the graphical capabilities of the methods.
• Is supported by a Website featuring R code and datasets.
Researchers, practitioners and postgraduate students of statistics and the applied sciences will find this book a useful introduction to the possibilities of presenting data in informative ways.