Handbook of Psychotherapy in Cancer Care
Copyright © 2011 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd
Editor(s): Maggie Watson, David W. Kissane
Published Online: 20 APR 2011 04:30AM EST
Print ISBN: 9780470660034
Online ISBN: 9780470975176
About this Book
This new book by international experts in psycho-oncology has arisen from the teaching academies offered by the International Psycho-oncology Society. It distills the wisdom and experience from the training manuals dedicated to individual psychological therapies and combines them into an accessible handbook for clinicians in cancer care today.
The editors have brought together leading researchers and therapists, who provide accounts of the prominent models of psychotherapy currently being used in cancer care, the key themes they address and the essential techniques needed to apply each approach successfully. Helpful clinical illustrations are woven throughout the book to make overt the strategies found in each model.
- Provides practical guidance about how to deliver a range of individual, group, couple and family interventions that have proven utility in cancer care.
- Describes comprehensively each model of psychotherapy as taught by experts delivering the International Psycho-Oncology Society's Educational Academy on cancer care for patients and their families.
- Features practical suggestions on therapy delivery from the world's leading proponents of each therapy.
- Serves as a valuable tool to assist teaching and to facilitate research into psychological interventions in oncology, palliative care and bereavement.
- Functions as a readily accessible resource for clinicians struggling to support someone effectively, through its provision of insight into the common challenges and traps that arise when providing patients with emotional support.
This practical handbook will help not only psychiatrists, psychologists and social workers but also physicians, surgeons, general practitioners and nurses interested in better understanding and supporting the patients and families they care for.