Parents Who Misuse Drugs and Alcohol: Effective Interventions in Social Work and Child Protection
Copyright © 2011 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Author(s): Donald Forrester, Judith Harwin
Published Online: 13 JAN 2011 09:28PM EST
Print ISBN: 9780470871508
Online ISBN: 9780470977958
Series Editor(s): Christopher Cloke, Jan Horwath, Peter Sidebotham
About this Book
This book presents original research outlining the key elements in responding to parental misuse of drugs and alcohol.
- Offers a definition of "misuse" and "addiction" and the factors that influence the nature of misuse or addiction
- Reviews extensively the nature and impact of parental substance misuse on children and families using the latest evidence
- Explores how research and theories might help inform professionals or non-professionals assessing families affected by parents who misuse drugs or alcohol
- Provides an in-depth discussion of Motivational Interviewing, including a critical discussion of the challenges and limitations involved in using it in child and family settings
- Considers the wider implications of the findings for practice and policy and argues that these responses can be used across the field of work with vulnerable children and their families