A Companion to the Literatures of Colonial America
Copyright © 2005 by Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Editor(s): Susan Castillo, Ivy Schweitzer
Published Online: 26 NOV 2007
Print ISBN: 9781405112918
Online ISBN: 9780470996416
About this Book
This broad introduction to Colonial American literatures brings out the comparative and transatlantic nature of the writing of this period and highlights the interactions between native, non-scribal groups, and Europeans that helped to shape early American writing.
- Situates the writing of this period in its various historical and cultural contexts, including colonialism, imperialism, diaspora, and nation formation.
- Highlights interactions between native, non-scribal groups and Europeans during the early centuries of exploration.
- Covers a wide range of approaches to defining and reading early American writing.
- Looks at the development of regional spheres of influence in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries.
- Serves as a vital adjunct to Castillo and Schweitzer's 'The Literatures of Colonial America: An Anthology' (Blackwell Publishing, 2001).