Copyright © 1999 John Wiley & Sons, Inc. All rights reserved.
Author(s): Jonathan D. H. Smith, Anna B. Romanowska
Published Online: 7 OCT 2011 08:15AM EST
Print ISBN: 9780471127383
Online ISBN: 9781118032589
About this Book
Advanced algebra in the service of contemporary mathematical research-- a unique introduction.
This volume takes an altogether new approach to advanced algebra. Its intriguing title, inspired by the term postmodernism, denotes a departure from van der Waerden's Modern Algebra--a book that has dominated the field for nearly seventy years. Post-Modern Algebra offers a truly up-to-date alternative to the standard approach, explaining topics from an applications-based perspective rather than by abstract principles alone. The book broadens the field of study to include algebraic structures and methods used in current and emerging mathematical research, and describes the powerful yet subtle techniques of universal algebra and category theory. Classical algebraic areas of groups, rings, fields, and vector spaces are bolstered by such topics as ordered sets, monoids, monoid actions, quasigroups, loops, lattices, Boolean algebras, categories, and Heyting algebras. The text features:
* A clear and concise treatment at an introductory level, tested in university courses.
* A wealth of exercises illustrating concepts and their practical application.
* Effective techniques for solving research problems in the real world.
* Flexibility of presentation, making it easy to tailor material to specific needs.
* Help with elementary proofs and algebraic notations for students of varying abilities.
Post-Modern Algebra is an excellent primary or supplementary text for graduate-level algebra courses. It is also an extremely useful resource for professionals and researchers in many areas who must tackle abstract, linear, or universal algebra in the course of their work.