WirelessMAN®: Inside the IEEE 802.16™ Standard for Wireless Metropolitan Area Networks
Copyright © 2006 The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc.
Author(s): Carl Eklund, Roger B. Marks, Subbu Ponnuswamy, Kenneth L. Stanwood, Nico J.M. van Waes
Published Online: 3 AUG 2011 11:03AM EST
Print ISBN: 9780738148427
Online ISBN: 9781118098875
About this Book
WirelessMAN: Inside the IEEE 802.16 Standard for Wireless Metropolitan Area Networks is the perfect resource for understanding and navigating through the IEEE 802.16 standard, which serves as the basis of all WiMAX broadband wireless access systems. Written by the 802.16 Working Group's Chair, Dr. Roger B. Marks, and Vice Chair, Kenneth L. Stanwood, along with Working Group participants Carl Eklund, Subbu Ponnuswamy, and Dr. Nico J.M. van Waes, the book provides a thorough understanding of the standard from an insider's perspective not found elsewhere. Inside:
- Find detailed descriptions of the medium access control (MAC) and physical layer (PHY) operation up through IEEE 802.16-2004, with an introduction to the technologies introduced in IEEE 802.16e.
- See why certain design choices were made and how recent technological developments, real-world experience, and lessons learned from previous projects were used to make critical tradeoffs.
- Get details on OFDM, OFDMA, multiple antenna systems, security,and mesh technologies.
- See performance simulations and learn about current conformance and interoperability activities.
- Read a summary of ongoing projects, related standards, and future extensions.
WirelessMAN is a must-read for anyone wishing to understand the IEEE 802.16 standard and its operation. This book will immediately benefit designers, engineers, students, and deployment professionals who need to rapidly understand the fundamentals of the standard. The book is a self-contained companion to the standard, and no specific knowledge of any other wireless protocols is assumed. It can be used for self-study, as a reference, or as a designer's handbook.