Highways, Byways, and Road Systems in the Pre-Modern World
Copyright © 2012 John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Editor(s): Susan E. Alcock, John Bodel, Richard J. A. Talbert
Published Online: 16 MAR 2012 11:09AM EST
Print ISBN: 9780470674253
Online ISBN: 9781118244326
Series Editor(s): Kurt Raaflaub
About this Book
Highways, Byways, and Road Systems in the Pre-Modern World reveals the significance and interconnectedness of early civilizations' pathways. This international collection of readings providing a description and comparative analysis of several sophisticated systems of transport and communication across pre-modern cultures.
- Offers a comparative analysis of several sophisticated systems of overland transport and communication networks across pre-modern cultures
- Addresses the burgeoning interest in connectivity and globalization in ancient history, archaeology, anthropology, and recent work in network analysis
- Explores the societal, cultural, and religious implications of various transportation networks around the globe
- Includes contributions from an international team of scholars with expertise on pre-modern India, China, Japan, the Americas, North Africa, Europe, and the Near East
- Structured to encourage comparative thinking across case studies