Rethinking Pragmatism: From William James to Contemporary Philosophy
Copyright © 2012 John Wiley & Sons Inc.
Author(s): Robert Schwartz
Published Online: 16 JUL 2012 04:38AM EST
Print ISBN: 9780470674697
Online ISBN: 9781118253687
About this Book
Rethinking Pragmatism explores the work of the American Pragmatists, particularly James and Dewey, challenging entrenched views of their positions on truth, meaning, instrumentalism, realism, pluralism and religious beliefs. It clarifies pragmatic ideas and arguments spelling out the significant implications they have for present-day philosophical controversies.
- Explores the work of the American Pragmatists, especially James and Dewey, on the issues of truth, reference, meaning, instrumentalism, essences, realism, pluralism and religious beliefs.
- The only available publication to provide a detailed commentary on James's book, Pragmatism, while exploring the implications of the American Pragmatists' ideas and arguments for contemporary philosophical issues
- Challenges standard readings of the American Pragmatists' positions in a way that illuminates and questions the assumptions underlying current discussions of these topics.
- Coherently arranged by structuring the book around the themes discussed in each chapter of James's original work.
- Provides a new analysis and understanding of the pragmatic theory of truth and semantics.