A Companion to Rainer Werner Fassbinder
Copyright © 2012 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Editor(s): Brigitte Peucker
Published Online: 28 MAY 2012 03:44AM EST
Print ISBN: 9781405191630
Online ISBN: 9781118275733
About this Book
About The Product
A Companion to Rainer Werner Fassbinder is the first of its kind to engage with this important figure. Twenty-eight essays by an international group of scholars consider this controversial director's contribution to German cinema, German history, gender studies, and auteurship.
- A fresh collection of original research providing diverse perspectives on Fassbinder's work in films, television, poetry, and underground theatre.
- Rainer Werner Fassbinder remains the preeminent filmmaker of the New German Cinema whose brief but prolific body of work spans from the latter half of the 1960s to the artist's death in 1982.
- Interrogates Fassbinder's influence on the seminal ideas of his time: auteurship, identity, race, queer studies, and the cataclysmic events of German twentieth century history
- Contributions from internationally diverse scholars specializing in film, culture, and German studies.
- Includes coverage of his key films including: Gods of the Plague (1970), Beware of a Holy Whore (1971), The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant (1972), Martha (1973) (TV), World on a Wire (1973), Effi Briest (1974), Ali: Fear Eats the Soul (1974), Fox and His Friends (1975), Fear of Fear (1975), Chinese Roulette (1976), In a Year With 13 Moons (1978), Despair (1978), The Third Generation (1979), Berlin Alexanderplatz (1980) (TV), and Querelle (1982).