Coupled-Oscillator Based Active-Array Antennas
Copyright © 2012 John Wiley & Sons, Inc. All rights reserved.
Author(s): Ronald J. Pogorzelski, Apostolos Georgiadis
Published Online: 20 JUL 2012 09:42AM EST
Print ISBN: 9781118235294
Online ISBN: 9781118310014
About this Book
Describing an innovative approach to phased-array control in antenna design
This book explores in detail phased-array antennas that use coupled-oscillator arrays, an arrangement featuring a remarkably simple beam steering control system and a major reduction in complexity compared with traditional methods of phased-array control. It brings together in one convenient, self-contained volume the many salient research results obtained over the past ten to fifteen years in laboratories around the world, including the California Institute of Technology's Jet Propulsion Laboratory.
The authors examine the underlying theoretical framework of coupled-oscillator systems, clearly explaining the linear and nonlinear formalisms used in the development of coupled-oscillator arrays, while introducing a variety of state-of-the-art methodologies, design solutions, and tools for applying this control scheme. Readers will find:
- Numerous implementation examples of coupled-oscillator array prototypes
- A continuum model that permits application of diffusion theory to the analysis of phase dynamics
- A demonstration of the array behavior through experimental results that validate the linearized theory
- Examples of how incorporating coupling delay restores causality, including the latest published results
- Guidance on how to accurately analyze and optimize coupled-oscillator arrays using modern simulation tools
- A review of current developments, including the design of compact couple-oscillator array antennas
Complete with 150 diagrams and photographs, Coupled-Oscillator Based Active-Array Antennas is a highly useful tutorial for antenna designers and a valuable reference for researchers and engineers wishing to learn about this cutting-edge technology.