Lamentations Through the Centuries
Copyright © 2013 Paul M. Joyce and Diana Lipton.
Author(s): Paul M. Joyce, Diana Lipton
Published Online: 4 MAR 2013 11:22PM EST
Print ISBN: 9780631219781
Online ISBN: 9781118414361
About this Book
About The Product
Covering a rich landscape of literary, theological and cultural creativity, the authors explore the astonishing variety of interpretations inspired by Lamentations, one of the shortest books in the Bible.
- Features a wealth of reactions - covering two and a half millennia - to this ancient text's influential and unflinching account of the devastation wreaked by war
- Explores a kaleidoscope of examples ranging from the Dead Sea Scrolls; Yehudah Halevy; John Calvin; and composer, Thomas Tallis; through to the startling interpretations of Marc Chagall; contemporary novelist, Cynthia Ozick; and Zimbabwean junk sculpture
- Deploys "reception exegesis", a new genre of commentary that creatively blends reception history and biblical exegesis
- Offers sensitive treatment of challenging theological and psychological responses to one of the most disturbing books of the Hebrew Bible
- Widely relevant, with nuanced reflections - both religious and secular - on human suffering and the disasters of war