Visual Data Mining: The VisMiner Approach
Copyright © 2013 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd
Author(s): Russell K. Anderson
Published Online: 15 OCT 2012 10:47PM EST
Print ISBN: 9781119967545
Online ISBN: 9781118444818
About this Book
A visual approach to data mining.
Data mining has been defined as the search for useful and previously unknown patterns in large datasets, yet when faced with the task of mining a large dataset, it is not always obvious where to start and how to proceed.
This book introduces a visual methodology for data mining demonstrating the application of methodology along with a sequence of exercises using VisMiner. VisMiner has been developed by the author and provides a powerful visual data mining tool enabling the reader to see the data that they are working on and to visually evaluate the models created from the data.
- Presents visual support for all phases of data mining including dataset preparation.
- Provides a comprehensive set of non-trivial datasets and problems with accompanying software.
- Features 3-D visualizations of multi-dimensional datasets.
- Gives support for spatial data analysis with GIS like features.
- Describes data mining algorithms with guidance on when and how to use.
- Accompanied by VisMiner, a visual software tool for data mining, developed specifically to bridge the gap between theory and practice.
Visual Data Mining: The VisMiner Approach is designed as a hands-on work book to introduce the methodologies to students in data mining, advanced statistics, and business intelligence courses. This book provides a set of tutorials, exercises, and case studies that support students in learning data mining processes.
In praise of the VisMiner approach:
"What we discovered among students was that the visualization concepts and tools brought the analysis alive in a way that was broadly understood and could be used to make sound decisions with greater certainty about the outcomes"-Dr. James V. Hansen, J. Owen Cherrington Professor, Marriott School, Brigham Young University, USA