Dermatologic Principles and Practice in Oncology: Conditions of the Skin, Hair, and Nails in Cancer Patients
Copyright © 2014 by John Wiley & Sons, Inc. All rights reserved
Editor(s): Mario E. Lacouture
Published Online: 30 NOV 2013
Print ISBN: 9780470621882
Online ISBN: 9781118590638
About this Book
The first book focusing specifically on frequent and frequently disabling side effects involving the skin, hair and nails in cancer patients
According to the World Health Organization, there are approximately thirty million people living with a diagnosis of cancer - the majority of whom will receive surgery, systemic therapy, and/or radiation, and who will suffer from dermatologic adverse events. Dermatologists and oncologists are only beginning to grapple with these events, which pose serious quality-of-life issues with so many patients, and will become more prevalent as survival rates improve, thanks in part to new cancer treatments and drug regimens.
Concentrating on a topic that has only been briefly touched upon by other texts, this book offers a focused perspective on the clinical presentation, underlying pathophysiologic mechanisms, and management of skin, hair, and nail conditions for oncologists, dermatologists, and allied practitioners.
Dermatologic Principles and Practice in Oncology: Conditions of the Skin, Hair, and Nails in Cancer Patients:
• Covers in detail the dermatologic adverse events of oncologic therapies, clinical presentations, and treatment recommendations
• Enables dermatologists and other practitioners to significantly improve the care of patients with cancer
• Addresses the dermatologic adverse events of cancer therapies used globally, of which a large number are found in developing countries
• Emphasizes prophylactic measures - based on treatments used and type of cancer - to prevent the appearance of adverse events
• Provides built-in discussions on patient education for practical counseling during therapies
• Offers rapid-reference sections on topical dermatology drugs
The first book to present dermatologic conditions in cancer patients and survivors in a uniform and in-depth manner, Dermatologic Principles and Practice in Oncology is ideal for oncologists, oncology nurses, and dermatologists who wish to take better care of those with adverse skin, hair, and nail conditions.