Product and Systems Development: A Value Approach
copy; 2013 by John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Editor(s): Stanley I. Weiss
Published Online: 17 MAY 2013
Print ISBN: 9781118331545
Online ISBN: 9781118592977
About this Book
A thorough treatment of product and systems development in terms of value to all stakeholders
Product and Systems Development compiles more than twenty years of research and practice from a value perspective, from vision and marketing to design, manufacturing, delivery, operations, and maintenance. It defines stakeholder value and identifies specific stakeholders in the product and system development process; covers best practices in development; and examines systems engineering, current industry views, and the life cycle of a value stream.
Featuring appendices written by professionals in the field on topics such as Design Structure Matrices, Lean Enablers for systems engineering, and MDAO and simulations, this indispensable guide:
- Explains why stakeholders' values can hold the key to fulfillment or defeat of the developer's vision
- Emphasizes the succession of value-contributing practices and tools that form a framework for development success
- Integrates the technical, productivity, and customer/end-user elements in product and system development
- Uses more than 100 tables and figures to illustrate the above processes, as well as corollary elements of risk, failure analysis, and fault-tolerant design
- Includes numerous case studies and links to online material
Product and Systems Development is an excellent coursebook for senior and graduate students in aerospace, mechanical, civil, electrical, and material engineering, as well as management science and engineering. It is also a useful reference for practicing engineers in a variety of technology-based industries.