Risk Communication, Fifth Edition
Copyright © 2013 The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc., and Regina E. Lundgren and Andrea H. McMakin
Editor(s): Regina E. Lundgren, Andrea H. McMakin
Published Online: 12 JUL 2013
Print ISBN: 9781118456934
Online ISBN: 9781118645734
About this Book
A fully updated handbook on effectively communicating environmental, safety, and health risks
Written by two well-known risk practitioners with over twenty-five years' experience in the field, this fully updated Fifth Edition of Risk Communication: A Handbook for Communicating Environmental, Safety, and Health Risks offers sound, scientific research with practical, hands-on advice for those in the public and private sectors.
Highly accessible and easy to understand, this must-read includes real-life examples of such headline-making events as the tsunami and radiation release in Japan in 2011, the BP oil disaster in the Gulf of Mexico in 2010, and extreme weather events, along with the lessons learned from them. It offers new chapters on public health campaigns, and on the use and effectiveness of social media for risk communication purposes.
Risk Communication is divided into five self-contained parts:
- Part I provides background information for understanding the basic theories and practices of risk communication
- Part II explains how to plan a risk communication effort
- Part III describes how to put risk communication into action
- Part IV discusses how to evaluate risk communication efforts, including techniques for measuring success
- Part V highlights special cases in risk communication, including disasters and other emergencies, international risk communication, and public health campaigns
An ideal introduction to the field, this book is also a welcome reference for those involved in communicating environmental, safety, and health risks in government, industry, and academia.