Building Contract Claims, Fifth Edition
Copyright © 2011 David Chappell
Author(s): David Chappell
Published Online: 16 DEC 2011 06:38AM EST
Print ISBN: 9780470657386
Online ISBN: 9781119951971
About this Book
Many building projects are the subject of claims - the assertion of a right, usually by the contractor, to an extension of the contract period or an additional payment under the terms of the building contract. Many of these claims are unsound or ill-founded, often because the basic principles are misunderstood.
This highly regarded book examines the legal basis of claims for extensions of time and additional payment, and what can and cannot be claimed under the main forms of contract. It includes chapters dealing with direct loss and expense, liquidated damages, extension of time, concurrency problems, acceleration, time at large, common law and contractual claims, global claims, and heads of claim and their substantiation. With the publication of the fifth edition, Building Contract Claims has been thoroughly revised to ensure it is fully up to date with the latest contracts, court judgments and building practice. Changes include:
- Coverage of over 60 additional relevant court cases
- Coverage of the 2005 JCT contracts suite
- Coverage of changes to the NEC contract
- Coverage of additional contracts such as Constructing Excellence; Measured Term Contract and the ACA PPC2000 contract together with the 2005 relevant JCT sub-contracts
- Important changes to liquidated damages and to extensions of time, and the giving of notices
- Appendix 1 has been substantially revised
Like its predecessors, the fifth edition of Building Contract Claims will be essential reading for architects, contract administrators, project managers and quantity surveyors, as well as contractors, contracts consultants and construction lawyers.