Language of the Earth, Second Edition
Copyright © 2008 Blackwell Publishing, Ltd
Editor(s): Frank H.T. Rhodes, Richard O. Stone, Bruce D. Malamud
Published Online: 23 JAN 2009
Print ISBN: 9781405160674
Online ISBN: 9781444300369
About this Book
About The Product
Man's complex relationship to planet Earth is explored in this second edition of the landmark anthology edited by Frank Rhodes and Bruce Malamud. This volume provides a portrait of the planet as experienced not just by scientists, but by artists, aviators, poets, philosophers, novelists, historians, and sociologists as well.
- A unique collection that bridges the gap between science and humanities
- Contains writings by scientists, artists, aviators, poets, philosophers, novelists, historians, and sociologists including Charles Darwin, Dane Picard, Rachel Carson, John Muir, Mark Twain and Archibald Geikie
- Represents the human experience over the centuries, covering a span of 2,500 years
- Reflects the planet's extraordinary physical diversity
- The previous edition was voted one of the 25 'Great Books of Geology' by readers of the Journal of Geological Education
"...this is a very worthwhile read, with something for everyone interested in geography, earth systems and geology, natural history or the general environment."
Robert A. Francis, King's College London, Progress in Physical Geography