Language of the Earth, Second Edition
Copyright © 2008 Blackwell Publishing, Ltd
Editor(s): Frank H.T. Rhodes, Richard O. Stone, Bruce D. Malamud
Published Online: 23 JAN 2009
Print ISBN: 9781405160674
Online ISBN: 9781444300369
About this Book
Man's complex relationship to planet Earth is explored in this second edition of the landmark anthology edited by Frank Rhodes and Bruce Malamud. This volume provides a portrait of the planet as experienced not just by scientists, but by artists, aviators, poets, philosophers, novelists, historians, and sociologists as well.
- A unique collection that bridges the gap between science and humanities
- Contains writings by scientists, artists, aviators, poets, philosophers, novelists, historians, and sociologists including Charles Darwin, Dane Picard, Rachel Carson, John Muir, Mark Twain and Archibald Geikie
- Represents the human experience over the centuries, covering a span of 2,500 years
- Reflects the planet's extraordinary physical diversity
- The previous edition was voted one of the 25 'Great Books of Geology' by readers of the Journal of Geological Education
"...this is a very worthwhile read, with something for everyone interested in geography, earth systems and geology, natural history or the general environment."
Robert A. Francis, King's College London, Progress in Physical Geography