Family Matters: The Importance of Mattering to Family in Adolescence
Copyright © 2009 Gregory C. Elliott
Author(s): Gregory C. Elliott
Published Online: 4 MAR 2009
Print ISBN: 9781405162425
Online ISBN: 9781444305784
About this Book
About The Product
Combining empirical evidence with indices to measure mattering, FamilyMatters: The Importance of Mattering to Family in Adolescence explores the inverse relationship between mattering and dysfunctional behavior in adolescence.
- Defines mattering and distinguishes among the three ways that people can matter to others: awareness, importance, and reliance
- Utilizes empirical evidence from a quantitative analyses of data from a nationwide survey 2,004 adolescents to support author's assertions
- Explores the impact of structural and demographic factors such as family structure in developing of a sense of mattering in adolescents.
- Includes helpful indices, including his Mattering Index and Rosenberg's Self-Esteem Index
- Suggests how parents, teachers, and other significant people in the lives of adolescents can work to instill a sense of mattering in those under their care