The Nanoscience and Technology of Renewable Biomaterials
Copyright © 2009 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Editor(s): Lucian A. Lucia, Orlando J. Rojas
Published Online: 21 SEP 2009
Print ISBN: 9781405167864
Online ISBN: 9781444307474
About this Book
The unique nanoscale properties of renewable biomaterials present valuable opportunities in the field of nanoscience and technology. Lignocellulosic biomass is an important industrial resource which can be used for the production of highly efficient and environmentally sustainable nanomaterials.
The Nanoscience and Technology of Renewable Biomaterials presents the latest advances in biomass nanotechnology, including leading research from academia and industry, as well as a future vision for the nanotechnology of forest products.
Topics covered include:
- A fundamental review of the relationship between nanotechnology and lignocellulosic biomass
- Characterization methods for biomass on the nanometer scale
- Cellulose, hemicelluloses and lignin as nanoscopic biomaterials-physical features, chemical properties and potential nanoproducts
- Nanoscale surface engineering
- Renewable materials as scaffolds for tissue engineering
- Nanoscopically-controlled drug delivery
This book will be a valuable resource for chemists, chemical engineers, bioscience researchers and materials scientists who are interested in harnessing the nanotechnological features of renewable biomaterials.