Management of Unintended and Abnormal Pregnancy: Comprehensive Abortion Care
Copyright © 2009 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Editor(s): Maureen Paul, E. Steve Lichtenberg, Lynn Borgatta, David A. Grimes, Phillip G. Stubblefield, Mitchell D. Creinin
Published Online: 22 MAY 2009
Print ISBN: 9781405176965
Online ISBN: 9781444313031
About this Book
Access to high quality abortion care is essential to women's health, as evidenced by the dramatic decrease in pregnancy-related morbidity and mortality since the legalization of abortion in the United States, and by high rates of maternal death and complications in those countries where abortion is still provided under unsafe conditions.
The past two decades have brought important advances in abortion care as well as increasing cross-disciplinary use of abortion technologies in women's health care. Abortion is an important option for pregnant women who have serious medical conditions or fetal abnormalities, and fetal reduction techniques are now well-integrated into infertility treatment to reduce the risks of multiple pregnancies resulting from assisted reproductive technologies.
Management of Unintended and Abnormal Pregnancy: Comprehensive Abortion Care is the textbook of the National Abortion Federation, and serves as the standard, evidence-based reference text in abortion care. This state-of-the-art textbook provides a comprehensive overview of the public health implications of unsafe abortion and reviews the best surgical and medical practices for pregnancy termination, as well as managing ectopic and other abnormal pregnancies.
Management of Unintended and Abnormal Pregnancy: Comprehensive Abortion Care is the leading source for a comprehensive understanding of issues related to unintended and abnormal pregnancy. This textbook:
- is authored by internationally-known leaders in women's health care;
- addresses unintended pregnancy and abortion from historical, legal, public health, clinical, and quality care perspectives;
- includes chapters on pregnancy loss, ectopic pregnancy, gestational trophoblastic disease, and multifetal pregnancy reduction;
- covers treatment of pregnancies in the first and second trimester by both medical and surgical techniques; and
- provides resources for clinical, scientific, and social support for the abortion provider and patient.