Palliative Nursing: Across the Spectrum of Care
Copyright © 2009 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Editor(s): Elaine Stevens, Susan Jackson, Stuart Milligan
Published Online: 14 DEC 2009
Print ISBN: 9781405169974
Online ISBN: 9781444322705
About this Book
Palliative Nursing is an evidence-based practical guide for nurses working in areas of practice where general palliative care is provided. This may be in hospitals, nursing homes, dementia units, the community and any other clinical areas which are not classified as specialist palliative care.
This book first explores the history and ethos of palliative care, and then looks at palliative nursing across various care settings. It then looks at palliative nursing care for people with specific illnesses, including heart failure, dementia, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, cancer, and neurological conditions. Palliative care for children and young people is discussed, and then the book finally looks at education and research in palliative nursing. Palliative Nursing will be essential reading for all nurses working with palliative care patients in a non specialist role, i.e. in hospitals, primary care and nursing homes, as well as nursing students.
- Explores the palliative nursing issues related to specific diseases groups
- Written in the context of the new national tools, i.e. the end of life initiative, preferred place of care, Liverpool care pathway and Gold standards framework.
- Each chapter includes practice points and cases to allow the practitioner to undertake guided reflection to improve practice
- Written by nurses for nurses
- Provides guidance for nurses working in all four countries of the UK